Healthy Eating Habits
One of the best ways to begin to develop healthy eating habits is to recognize your current relationship with food. Developing awareness is the starting point for behavioral change. Here are seven questions for reflection to help you develop more clarity and awareness of the ways you engage with food.
Eating Habit Questionnaire
1. How would I describe my current relationship to food?
2. In what ways do I use food other than to nourish my body? Do I eat when angry, lonely, tired, sad, bored, or when I want to feel a certain way?
3. In what ways do I get enjoyment from eating foods that my body doesnʼt need for nutrition? On the basis of what I am getting from this behavior, how much do I want to continue this behavior? Rate on a scale of 0-5, 5 being the highest.
4. What negative consequences arise from eating foods my body doesnʼt need for nutrition? How does this behavior effect the way I look? Feel? How does it effect my self-esteem? My weight? My health? On the basis of the negative consequences from this behavior, how much do I want to continue the behavior? Rate on a scale of 0-5, 5 being the highest.
5. What will I lose by changing this behavior? Am I willing to give up those things?
6. How might I feel better if I modified my behavior around food? Why do I want to change to more healthy eating habits? Who am I doing this for? How do I anticipate this change will effect my life?
7. What specific behaviors would I like to change so that I can develop healthy eating habits?